The Natural Path to Permanent Weight Loss
Most weight loss programs fail because they do not address the underlying causes of obesity or unexplained weight gain, and because most programs are not individualized to the person’s individual health needs.
CONVENTIONAL WEIGHT LOSS TREATMENT FOR OBESITY & OVERWEIGHT:
- Diet usually consisting of a decrease in calories and change in dietary habits.
- Behavioral therapy (includes many commercial weight loss programs).
- Drugs including appetite suppressants and stimulants.
- Surgery. The most common operations, vertical banded gastroplasty and gastric bypass, radically reduce stomach volume. There are a variety of nutrient deficiencies that may occur as a result of these procedures.
- Conventional doctors rarely have the time to do the dietary, nutritional or lifestyle counseling which is necessary to implement the changes needed for permanent weight loss.
REASONS MOST WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMS FAIL
- Not being realistic about the time that it takes for permanent healthy weight loss. Expect your dietary and exercise changes to be lifelong habits. Plan to take 24-36 months to attain your ideal weight.
- Failure to identify contributing factors in weight gain
- Wrong dietary plan
- Inability to burn total calories being consumed
- Water retention
- Poor digestion
- Poor liver function
- Poor carbohydrate metabolism
- Deficiency of essential nutrients needed for normal metabolism
- Food sensitivities
- Toxic metals stored in fat tissue
- Intestinal yeast imbalance
- Mental/emotional issues. Mental and emotional issues in our lives affect our eating habits and our relationship with food. For many people, it is necessary to address this component of health in order to attain permanent weight loss.
NATURAL APPROACHES FOR PERMANENT WEIGHT LOSS
Naturopathic and Alternative medicine provides natural, safe, and effective choices for a healthy diet and lifestyle which in turn promotes permanent weight loss and rejuvenated physical health .
TRY NEW APPROACH TO WEIGHT LOSS
Throw your scale out. Do not weigh yourself. Gauge your weight loss by the change in your clothes and your body.
Make the goal be achieving and maintaining balance in your life. Balance your food, work, home, self, exercise, reactions to life and emotions.
Work the program diligently for 24-36 months and expect consistent small results. A monthly 2 lb. weight loss equals 72 pounds in 36 months. This is a slow evolving experience, not a crash program. Have patience.
Never give up. Achieving success living this type of lifestyle requires persistence and faith over a long period of time. It will gets easier as time goes on but it will require your life. You don’t just arrive and that is it. It is like brushing your teeth; it calls for attention on a daily basis.
Be committed with your nutritional supplements program.
Stay around people who support you and your health goals rather than undermine you.
Regularly do something in your life that makes you happy.
IDENTIFY AND ADDRESS UNDERLYING CAUSES
Naturopathic physicians specialize in treatment of factors which inhibit weight loss including: specific dietary counseling, promoting proper digestion, restoring compromised liver function, promoting proper thyroid metabolism, identifying nutrient deficiencies, treating food allergies, treating insulin resistance, detoxification of heavy metals, and treatment of intestinal imbalances.
Exercise helps reduce weight. Research shows that frequency of exercise is the most important factor in weight loss. Duration of exercise is the second most important factor. Exercise has important benefits:
- Increases lean body mass, which automatically increases your metabolism – muscle tissue has a higher metabolic rate (burns more calories) than adipose (fat) tissue.
- Improves mood, improves sleep, improves balance and coordination, lowers blood sugar, improves insulin sensitivity, improves immune system function, improves circulation, lowers blood pressure, lowers LDL (“bad”) cholesterol, raises HDL (“good”) cholesterol and overall significantly reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Consult your physician before starting any exercise program.
If you have hormonal imbalances that are caused by chronic stress, stress management will help with weight loss.
It is often necessary to take a hard look at how one reacts to stress from mental/emotional issues in one’s life and how to resolve/manage/change these responses to be more healthy.
Difficulties losing weight are often related to deficiencies in nutrients which are necessary for proper metabolism. If fats can’t be broken down properly, weight loss is difficult or impossible.
Nutrients such as B-vitamins, lipoic acid, iron, magnesium, manganese, chromium, L-carnitine and Co-enzyme Q-10 are essential for proper processing of fats and carbohydrates.
Nutrients needed for the thyroid to function properlyinclude tyrosine, iodine, selenium, zinc, and copper.
Food cravings and insulin resistance can be caused by nutrient deficiencies.
WHAT’S YOUR NEXT STEP
Call us and schedule an appointment (770) 674-6311